Health and Safety Guidelines
Students must bring their own face mask to school each day.
We suggest masks be worn while traveling to and from school. In addition, masks will be worn at the follow times:
- Upon arrival to and departure from school.
- While moving around campus.
- When entering and exiting classrooms.
- Anytime it is not possible to practice social distancing.
- Staff should wear a mask at all times and should not pull their mask down to talk.
Students will be taught how to look after their masks properly by the homeroom teachers and the school nurse during the first week back at school, with refresher sessions during the term. There will also be posters around the campus to reinforce these practices. A useful resource for proper use of masks can be found at this World Health Organization page.
In general, KIS students and staff should maintain a safe physical distance from each other. If that distance cannot be maintained for any reason then masks must be worn.
Classrooms are set up with desks spaced apart. All teachers and teacher assistants will have to wear masks or face shields anytime they are working with students or students are in the classroom.
Handwashing and Hygiene
At KIS we have three outdoor hand wash points, including one with 4 sinks by the main gate. We also have warm water and the stations are stocked with soap.
In addition to hand washing the teachers will be provided with hand sanitizer and ensure that before entering the classroom, students have either washed their hands or have used hand sanitizer. Each classroom will have a hygiene kit which will include extra face masks, sanitizer, plastic gloves, a spray bottle of disinfectant and paper towels.
Students must wash their hands regularly, specifically:
· before entering the school;
· each time they prepare to enter the classroom;
· after using the toilet;
· before and after meals;
· after break;
· after PE.
When possible, classroom windows and doors will be partially opened to allow fresh air to circulate. Windows will be opened when students leave the class for lunch and break.
The following cleaning protocols will be in place:
- Daily cleaning/disinfecting of all rooms after school ends. Cleaning/disinfecting will include use of disinfectant solutions with Dettol and bleach.
- PreK/KG classrooms will be cleaned during every break with disinfectant.
- Classrooms will be cleaned regularly. Students will be encouraged to help in this process
- All playground equipment will be cleaned/disinfected immediately following all breaks and at the end of the school day.
- Throughout the day, housekeeping will continuously clean/disinfect metal surfaces that are frequently touched (i.e. door handles, railings)
- Bathrooms will be cleaned/disinfected twice daily with bathroom hygiene being actively encouraged by class teachers.
Our cleaners and kitchen staff have undergone cleaning and disinfecting training from Silk Road Hospital.